Sunday, June 8, 2014

Chinese Gaokao



http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-06/china-girds-for-high-stress-gaokao-weekend

And I thought I studied alot...  The SAT/ ACT on steroids in China is going on this weekend.  These students spent countless hours to prepare for a test that determines which college they will be attending.  Extreme claims such as: lunch and dinner breaks limited to 3-5 minutes and a constant amino acid IV drip to ensure constant focus have been associated with preparation for this weekend marathon of a test.  These academy sessions can last from 5:30 A.M. to 10 P.M.  This test has a lot more riding on it then our SAT/ ACT because it is a determinant of which profession one will "match" into, as students go into medical school directly out of high school.  Some of the Chinese hospitals still have dormitories, causing students to earn the more literal term of being a "resident" than in the U.S.

This leads me to wonder how great the quality of life is for these students.  When you spend that much time towards one goal, it must be completely demoralizing if that goal is not obtained.  I find myself fortunate to be in a country that still finds value in having well-rounded students with various life experiences.  There's no way I would be prepared for medical school directly out of High School and am glad that I had the opportunity to defer my career plans a few more years instead of having my distant future determined by a single test.

No comments:

Post a Comment