Saturday, October 5, 2013

Interruptions

 This is the latest I've stayed up in a while.  At this point in the semester, it sort of feels like I'm on autopilot.  The days seem to blend together, because of the constant studying.  At this point, I start to welcome unplanned interruptions.  Such as when a native by the river who has been in Dominica since Ross was first established.  He shared the story of seeing various students come in and out of the island.  Much of the story I couldn't understand because of his very strong accent, but his passion and exaggeration made me listen intently.  He then encouraged me and pounded his fist into mine.  Or even the beggar named Charles outside of the IGA some days; he usually has an elaborate story that changes every time I see him, then he proceeds to ask for rum or some food.  I feel guilty if I plan a prolonged break, which I need to do, but it is hard when I constantly feel like I don't know enough from the previous lecture.  Then I see wives or husbands of Ross students walking their children, and I ask myself how efficient I am being with my time.  Many times students with spouses or children seem to be progressing just fine through the material, even though they have a huge responsibility to tend to outside of school.  I guess time constraints force you to be more efficient.  And that has been the hardest adjustment this semester, figuring out how to study most efficiently and what methods work for me the best.

We had our second clinical skills activity on Wednesday.  Initially, I see these clinical skills activities as distractions, as I look at them as taking away from my study time, however afterwards I am glad that we have these activities scheduled.  I learned how to conduct a general musculoskeletal exam.  This is important especially after particularly traumatic accidents, because many times patients may not realize how many different areas are injured.  Also, sometimes lower back pain is not caused by the vertebra in the back, but possibly an injured nerve that isn't transmitting properly from one of the limbs.   These activities help keep on eyes on the big picture and establish our examining skills early on. 

On Monday we have our second Mini exam and on Wednesday we have our first Anatomy lab practical.  We had a mock practical this morning, and helped to realize that I still have a lot of work today.  However, I feel well prepared for the mini exam.

Tomorrow I will go on a run before it gets too hot, go to church, then go over the previous weeks material for the upcoming Mini.  I'll probably subconsciously be waiting the next interruption as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment