Wednesday, September 18, 2013

First Exam Results/ Study Strategies

Well I got in the 13 percentile for the first test.... the bottom 13 percentile.  I failed the test.  it's a devastating feeling to see all those hours spent studying go to waste.  The good thing is that this first mini is only 10% of our grade as compared to 30% in previous semesters.  I'm actually very satisfied with my work ethic and study time, I averaged about 7 hours of studying (except for the first two days) during those two weeks.  I know for sure that I studied more than a large percentage of those who did better than me, which leads me to a crossroad:  1) give up and acknowledge that I am not intelligent enough for medical school  2) change my study habits and strategy.  Those who know me already know which path I'm taking.  Today, I implemented concept maps instead of my usual recopying of the notes.  Really, I didn't have a strategy for the first mini.  I just figured that if I studied the power points long enough then I would absorb the information.  I guess that old saying holds true... "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." For the next mini I'm adopting a new study strategy.

I'm going to preview the lectures the day before they begin.  I am also going to actually attend lectures, as it will keep me accountable to watching the lectures at a specific time and being around my peers.  I passed on various opportunities such as playing basketball, partying after the White Coat ceremony, and going out to eat.  I wanted to just focus on the exam, but my efforts proved to be futile.  I will also review Netter's anatomy flashcards every morning.   On Saturdays I will do the CTL practice problems and try to answer all the learning objectives without any notes.  I will also review all of my notes from that week.  On Saturday or Sunday I will join a study group with some friends to go over practice questions and review the learning objectives.  This plan will get me at least an 85% on my next test.

- Are you gonna bounce back or bounce backwards?

No comments:

Post a Comment