Wednesday, August 27, 2014

First semester advice: Housing

Most students have likely already picked housing for the upcoming semester, but for those who haven't I'd recommend somewhere close to campus.  I've lived closer to the Annex and right across the street from campus, and living by campus is much more convenient.  Those who live further from campus generally do so because of cheaper housing, especially if you need a bigger apartment for a family, but in my situation the apartment by campus was the same price as my first apartment.  Or they like the idea of not being able to quickly go to campus, forcing them to stay on campus and study.  If you're dissatisfied, you can easily moved next semester, as the leases are just for one semester.  Moving can be a slight hassle, but most taxi services provide services for moving as well, such as Alexis taxi.  I got help from the homie Ryan (I don't have his number on me currently), who's a reliable taxi driver and helped me move late at night.

I currently live at Mac and Judy's.  The landlady is amazing and responds quickly, apartment is big, and it is right across the street from campus.  I pay $650 US monthly.  I would recommend it to anyone.

Before this semester, students weren't having classes in the Annex.  However, this incoming class will have classes in the Annex for this and possibly more semesters.  Therefore, living close to the Annex might prove to be more convenient.  However, you will still have to go to main campus at least a couple times a week or more for anatomy lab, fitness center, subway, clinical activities, etc.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! Im at MERP now- hitting the island in January.
    What do you think of living on lizard trail? looking at the LifeStyle Deluxe apartments? They seem equidistant to both campuses. And the spouse group had a good review of Passionfruit apartments- thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shane,

      Nice, the students coming from MERP seem to be really well prepared. You're right Lizard Trail is a good location to be, pretty close to campus. I was actually considering staying in Life Style Deluxe my first semester but it was filled up. LifeStyle is slightly more expensive than other aprtments in the area, but from what I've heard they are great quality apartments, closer to U.S. quality than most on the island. I've also heard good things about Passionfruit, also close to campus. I think either of these apartments would be grat to live in, just depends on how much you're wiling to spend.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got one! Reserved for January. Really appreciate your perspective and advice Terrance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Thanks for your article. I've got a question for you. Do you have the contact information of Mac&Judy's apts? I can't find it online anywhere..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I don't, I had it on my old phone. I'll see if I can find it.

      Delete