Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Stress!


Today was my last anatomy lab practical!  It's a bittersweet feeling.  This semester I actually enjoyed being in lab and dissecting and really developed an appreciation for anatomy.  Before we took our exam, we had to be sequestered for 4 hours as the other groups took their exams.  During this time, another student noted that she just felt a lot of tension in the room, and I definitely agreed.  One of my classmates ran in exhausted and just sat on the floor in distress; I am not sure what happened.  Another student said she hadn't ate all day or on Sunday out of fear she would vomit from anxiety.  In lab yesterday a classmate yelled out, "I can't do this" and complained about there being too much material.  I told him he probably needed a break outside of lab, but he said that wouldn't help.  My friend went over some easier structures with him to build up his confidence.

This is a topic that we discussed at a Ross Adventist Fellowship Meeting on Friday.  One of the 4th semesters said now is a time when many people start to despair and lose hope.  He emphasized how in times of struggle he always has a sense of piece amidst adversity due to the comforter he has in the Holy Spirit.  I definitely feel the same way.  It definitely helps give peace of mind that my identity is not found in academic performance.  That is not to say that I don't have my share of doubts and stressful moments, but I realize that there are more important aspects of life than just medicine.

Sometimes we tend to get so caught up in our present situation and forget that a test result can never define us our measure our self worth.  Medical students as a generality tend to be very competitive and have high expectations.  This causes us to get frustrated when our goals don't align with our vision.  Every test result becomes an indicator of our future.  I must get a certain score to obtain this residency...  I must be in the top __ percentile.  It leaves little room for enjoyment of the present and embracement of spontaneity.

No comments:

Post a Comment