Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Packing my barrel



Wow, I never imagined I'd be bringing this many items to the island.  I figured it would worth it to purchase a 55 gallon barrel filled with "essential" items.  Some people make it seem like we're the new contestants on a season of Survivor, because of the rural conditions so I just wanted to make the transition somewhat easier.  Others make it seem as only the spoiled Americans buy the barrel to bring their fruit loops, Cheetos, and oreos.  Overall the cost of the barrel and shipping is $280.  I hope it's worth the price considering the convenience of: not having to scramble to find and buy items from Dominica at significantly higher prices, having a barrel to return items in when leaving the island, and bringing my favorite foods that are unique to the U.S.   I just finished sending my barrel off to Olarte transport in LA.  From Olarte it goes to Miami where Tropical shipping ships it to Dominica.  Overall, it should take the barrel 2 weeks to arrive at the island, about a week after I arrive.  Oh, and shot out to the dudes who ship an ice chest full of T-bone steaks to the island, using dry ice to preserve it.  That's extreme dedication to premium cuts haha.  I'll just be looking forward to the various types of fish I can get on the island.

My barrel packing list:

  • George foreman grill
  • Blender
  • Ipod alarm clock
  • Blow drier
  • Bath rug
  • Crock pot
  • Rice cooker
  • Applesauce
  • Cliff Bars
  • Canned goods
  • Binders/ notebooks/ losse paper
  • Fan
  • White board
  • Shower curtain
  • Blanket
  • Reusable grocery bags
  • Pull-up bar
  • Nuts: peanuts and pistachios
  • Grains and beans
  • Pitcher
  • Other random items

In hindsight, I probably would've got the 75 gallon barrel.  It seems like a lot but I was surprised at how quickly I filled the 55 gallon barrel, forcing me to leave items out.

No comments:

Post a Comment